Monday, July 21, 2008

When Not in Rome, and Sick.

I may be the only person to have caught the flu in July. I caught it on the airplane flying home to Kauai. There was a woman on the plane across the aisle who spent most of the flight face-down on her service tray. I hate to leap to conclusions, but I'm thinking she might have been unwell. Two days later, so was I.

The major remaining issue is a cough, which unfortunately enjoys waking me up in the middle of the night. Three times I have ended up on the bathroom floor next to the toilet, just in case the coughing evolved into barfing.

The cough has also torn something in my rib cage, which makes the coughing pretty @*#$&( painful. Moral of our story? Get your flu shot. Every year. Especially if you're made of gristle.

Nothing writery has been going on, but great times for the readery stuff. I'm slowly trying to clean the house while ill, which works about as well as you might imagine. It does allow for much listening to audiobooks. Hope the neighbors enjoy my taste in fiction. And the fatigue of manual labor while ill means I get to knock off early and spend the remains of the day reading.

You see what I did there. In any event, here is my completed reads for the past month, including flu days:

Sebastian Barry - The Secret Scripture
Eli Gottlieb - Now You See Him
E.L. Doctorow - City of God
Thornton Wilder - Bridge of San Luis Rey
Jack Kerouac - On the Road (Original Scroll)
Barbara Kingsolver - The Poisonwood Bible
Carson McCullers - The Member of the Wedding

Currently Reading:

Katherine Anne Porter - Ship of Fools
Robert Penn Warren - All the King's Men

*cough*
*ow*

No comments: